ZoomText and Fusion 2018 Release Notes
This section contains the latest information on ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018 (at the time of release).
- Changes in each release since version 2018 first release
- System Requirements
ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018 August Update
This update applies to ZoomText 2018.1808.25 and Fusion 2018.1808.2.
General improvements to performance and stability
- A collection of “under the hood” changes have been implemented to provide general improvements to ZoomText’s performance and stability.
Improved interop between ZoomText 2018 with JAWS 2018
- Communication between ZoomText and Fusion has been refined for improved Interoperability.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
APPLY TO FUSION ONLY
support is now available in Fusion 2018
- With the remote desktop add-on, users of Fusion 2018 can now use Citrix or Windows Remote Desktop Connections to access remote computers with full magnification, screen reading and Braille support. Users can also choose between running Fusion, JAWS or ZoomText in their remote session. The remote desktop add-on can be purchased with new products or as an upgrade to existing Fusion 2018 products. For more information, contact your local Freedom Scientific dealer.
Fix for tracking and highlighting when using Quick Keys and Tab key in Firefox 61
- In Firefox 61, tracking and highlighting are now working when using the Quick Keys and Tab key.
Fix for SayAll tracking and highlighting in Word, WordPad and Notepad
- When using the SayAll command in Microsoft Word, WordPad and Notepad; the spoken words are now tracked and highlighted.
ZoomText 2018 July Update (v2018.1807.8)
This update applies to ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018.
Improvements in Microsoft Office
- Problems with the focus enhancement getting stuck on controls or not following the focus into certain controls have been fixed.
- In Word 2016
- AppReader now starts and exits faster in Word documents.
- AppReader now reads paragraphs more accurately and reliably when using the Next Paragraph and Previous Paragraph reading commands.
- ZoomText’s tracking, program echo and focus enhancement now work in the Find and Replace dialog box.
- ZoomText’s cursor enhancement now appears in the Reviewing Pane.
- ZoomText’s cursor enhancement no longer gets stuck when scrolling the document with the mouse wheel.
- In Outlook 2016
- Email windows are now reliably announced when opened using the keyboard or the mouse.
- In Outlook 2016 and 2013
- To, Cc and Bcc fields are now reliably announced.
- In Excel 2016 and 2013
- A problem that caused ZoomText to read the previous cell that had focus when editing the current cell with focus has been fixed.
- In Excel 2010
- When navigating from one cell to another would cause the spreadsheet window to scroll, ZoomText would start echoing and highlighting the incorrect cell. This problem has been fixed.
Improvements in Chrome
- ZoomText no longer echoes typed passwords when logging into to websites.
- A problem that caused the cursor enhancements to disappear has been fixed.
Improvements in Firefox
- Typing echo by word is now more reliable.
- A problem that caused Firefox to hang momentarily when logging into websites has been fixed.
- A problem that caused Firefox Quantum to hang momentarily when activating the Open menu has been fixed.
Improvements in the Windows Start menu
- ZoomText now tracks and echoes all search results In the Windows Start 10 and Windows 8.1 menu.
ZoomText now appears in the Windows Ease of Access Center
- When ZoomText is installed it will now be presented as an assistive technology option in the Windows Ease of Access Center.
Improvements in the ZoomText Setup Program
- A newer version of ZoomText 2018 can now be installed while an older version of ZoomText 2018 is running.
- A problem that caused the ZoomText Setup Repair Package to fail (with error code 80070666) has been fixed. This problem would occur when aninstallation of JAWS 2018 was present on the system.
Improvements in the ZoomText toolbar
- On the ZoomText toolbar, the ZoomText menu is now announced as “ZoomText menu” instead of “application menu”.
Improvements in ZoomText AppReader
- A problem that caused AppReader to repeat list items in webpages has been fixed.
- A problem that caused AppReader to freeze when pressing the AppView hotkey while in Text View has been fixed.
- A problem that caused the mouse pointer to disappear when exiting AppReader has been fixed.
- A problem that caused AppReader to crash after switching to Ticker mode has been fixed.
- A problem that caused AppReader to crash when opening the Text View settings has been fixed.
Improvements in ZoomText xFont magnification support
- ZoomText’s xFont magnification is now provided in Slack team collaboration tools.
Improvements in ZoomText’s Cursor and Focus Enhancements
- In the Windows Start menu, the focus enhancement now appears and follows along when moving the mouse over the menu.
- A problem that caused ZoomText’s focus enhancement to appear in the wrong location when the display scaling was set above 100% has been fixed.
- A problem that caused ZoomText’s focus enhancement to drift outside of an application or dialog window has been fixed. This problem would occur when scrolling the contents of a scrollable window, list view or list box.
Improvements in ZoomText’s voice support
- A problem that caused ZoomText’s voice to inadvertently switch from disabled to enabled has been fixed. This problem was known to occur when activating the Windows lock screen.
- A problem that caused non-English localizations of ZoomText to speak with an English voice has been fixed. This problem with installations of ZoomText that were installed with a Fusion installation.
Improvements in localizations
- A collection of translation and formatting errors have been fixed in localized versions of ZoomText and Fusion. These fixes occurred in the French and Japanese localizations.
New Arabic localization
- This release adds Arabic to the localizations available in ZoomText 2018. The complete list of localizations now includes: Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, UK English and US English.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
APPLY TO FUSION ONLY
- On the Fusion toolbar, the Fusion menu is now announced as “Fusion menu” instead of “application menu”.
Improvements in Fusion Skim Reading
- The Skim Reading feature in Fusion 2018 now behaves identical to the Skim Reading feature in JAWS 2018.
Improvements in Braille support
- A problem that caused unexpected flash messages to appear on Braille displays has been fixed.
ZoomText 2018 May Update (v2018.1805.53)
This update applies to ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018.
Improved in Adobe
Acrobat Reader DC
ZoomText and Fusion support for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has been overhauled to provide more reliable and usable access to PDF documents. These improvements include the following:
- The AppReader tool is now more reliable and accurate for reading PDF documents that are properly formatted. AppReader reliably starts up in the selected mode (App View, Text View or SpeakIt Tool) and begins reading at the location that corresponds to the Launch AppReader command being used. Continuous reading and skim reading (by word, line, sentence and paragraph) are smooth and accurate.
- When using the AppReader in App View, a problem with the word highlight sometimes appearing over entire paragraphs has been fixed.
- When using the AppReader in Text View, text now fills each line in the view, as opposed to a single word per line. An additional problem with the Text View only displaying a single word when switching from App View has also been fixed.
- When starting AppReader with the Launch AppReader from Pointer command (Caps Lock + Alt + Left-click) and then exiting AppReader, a large block of text would sometimes be selected in the PDF document. This problem has been fixed.
- When moving the text cursor through the text in a PDF document, Cursor Echo now announces “space” when the cursor moves to space character. When the cursor moves into the last line of a PDF document, Cursor Echo announces the text in the as opposed to announcing “blank”.
- Mouse Echo is now echoes text reliably in PDF documents and the Adobe Reader user interface. Problems with the mouse echo feature erroneously selecting text has also been fixed.
- The Cursor Enhancement now correctly tracks and highlights the text cursor and is properly hidden when the text cursor loses focus.
- The Focus Enhancement now correctly tracks and highlights the program focus when switching to and from Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- The Reading Zones Tool can now be used in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Improvements in Microsoft Office
- In office 2016 and 2013 applications, text in the application user interface and document are now reliably magnified with xFont.
- In Office 2016 and 2013 applications, the Focus Enhancement is now properly displayed.
- In Word 2016, the Cursor Enhancement no longer gets stuck for several seconds after scrolling the document view.
- In Excel 2016, the Cursor Enhancement and Focus Enhancement are now reliably displayed and reliably track the text cursor and active spreadsheet cell.
- In Excel 2016, Cell formulas are now properly announced.
- In Excel 2016, Cell values are now properly echoed when the cell contains a formula.
- In Excel 2016, a problem with the magnified view jumping back and forth when selecting a range of cells has been fixed.
- A problem with ZoomText freezing when running with JAWS in Microsoft Outlook 2016 has been fixed.
Improvements in Firefox 59 (or later)
- The names of links are now echoed without the associated address also being echoed.
- Cursor Enhancements and Focus Enhancements are now reliably displayed in the Firefox user interface and in webpages.
- In the Firefox user interface, a problem with text being blocked out when ZoomText is running has been fixed.
- A problem with the names of checkboxes in web pages being double-echoed has been fixed.
- A problem with ZoomText focus tracking jumping away when moving through items in a list box or combo box has been fixed.
Improvements in Chrome 65 (or later)
- Cursor Enhancements and Focus Enhancements are now properly displayed in the Chrome user interface and in webpages.
- A problem with AppReader failing to launch directly into Text View has been fixed.
Improvements in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11)
- A problem with the magnified view freezing when opening the Twitter website in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) has been fixed.
Improvements in iTunes
- Cursor Enhancements and Focus Enhancements now properly displayed in the iTunes user interface.
- ZoomText’s Program Echo and Mouse Echo are now properly announcing the names of controls and links the iTunes user interface and content library.
- ZoomText’s Typing Echo by word now works when typing in the iTunes Search Field.
- ZoomText’s Typing Echo no longer echoes the typed password in iTunes logon windows.
Improvements in Windows Settings
- ZoomText Focus Enhancement now reliably follows the application focus in the Windows Settings dialog boxes.
Improvements to Magnification Features
- Toggling of the Zoom to 1x feature is now announced by ZoomText.
- Mouse Wheel Zooming is now reliably disabled when unchecking the “Enable wheel zooming” checkbox in the Zoom Window Settings dialog box.
- The Freeze window can now be enabled and adjusted when the magnification level in the primary zoom window is set to 1x.
- In the Zoom Windows Settings dialog box, a problem with the Zoom Level spin box not updating has been fixed. This problem occurred when using the Zoom Level commands and mouse wheel zooming.
- A problem with screen corruption appearing when exiting ZoomText or Fusion has been fixed.
Improvements to ZoomText’s mouse pointers, Pointer Enhancements and Focus Enhancements
- All of ZoomText’s tool modes now feature smooth-edge mouse pointers that are crisp at all magnification levels.
- Problems with ZoomText’s Enhanced Pointers becoming invisible or getting stuck along the edges of the screen have been fixed.
- A problem that caused two mouse pointers to appear after exiting the screen saver has been fixed.
- A problem with a hard freezing occurring when adjusting the colors in ZoomText’s Pointer Enhancements and Focus Enhancements settings has been fixed.
Improvements in AppReader
- When using the AppReader in App View and Text View, AppReader now correctly announces words preceded by a double quote.
- When using the AppReader in App View and navigating by lines and paragraphs, AppReader now reads the entire line or paragraph.
- When using the AppReader in Text View, the word highlight is now displayed when using the “underline” and “frame” highlight shapes.
- In the Text View Settings dialog, adjustments to the Document Color and Highlight settings are now properly applied in the Text View.
- When using AppReader and switching from App View to Text View, sometimes only a single word would appear in the Text View. This problem has been fixed.
- The Zoom to 1x command can now be used in AppReader (without causing AppReader to exit).
Improvements in Finder
- When navigating to the Next or Previous instance of a searched for phrase, Finder now interrupts the announcement of the previous phrase.
- A problem with the Finder spontaneously closing a few seconds after it is launched has been fixed.
- A problem with the Finder crashing when initiate the search for a word or phrase (by pressing the Enter key) has been fixed.
Improvements in ZoomText Camera
- ZoomText Camera Settings are not properly restored to their defaults when choosing the Restore Factory Defaults menu command.
- Changes to settings in the Camera Clarity and Camera Focus dialogs are now discarded when closing the dialog with the close button in the title bar.
Improvements in the ZoomText and Fusion toolbars
- “Licensed to:” information now appears in status bar on the ZoomText and Fusion toolbars.
Improvements in Localizations
- A collection of translation
and formatting errors have been fixed in localized
versions of ZoomText and Fusion.
Installation Issues Resolved
- A variety of rare ZoomText and Fusion installation conflicts and errors have been resolved.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS APPLY TO FUSION ONLY
Improvements in the Fusion speech output
- Tutor messages are now off by default.
- Mouse Echo now works on the Fusion toolbar.
- When double-tapping the Caps Lock key to toggle the Caps Lock state, the on/off state is now announced.
ZoomText 2018 April Update (v2018.1804.53)
This update applies to ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018.
Fix for dongle authorization failure in Windows 10 Spring Creators Update
- Dongle authorization for ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018 was not working in the Windows 10 Spring 2018 Creators update. Customers who authorize using a dongle must install this ZoomText or Fusion update to continue authorizing ZoomText or Fusion after installing the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update.
Fix for system freeze on systems configured with multiple monitors and Windows 10 Spring Creators Update
- On systems configured with multiple monitors and the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, when launching ZoomText 2018 or Fusion 2018 the system would freeze with black screen. This problem has been fixed.
Fix for Acrobat Reader spontaneously closing when opening PDF documents
- When running Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with ZoomText 2018 or Fusion 2018, Acrobat Reader would sometimes crash when opening PDF documents that contain forms or dynamic content. This problem has been fixed.
ZoomText 2018 First Release (February 2018)
Here’s what’s new in ZoomText 2018
New Version Number Scheme
- Beginning with this release, ZoomText and Fusion will now be numbered using the year it will be shipping in, rather than an arbitrary number. You can think of it as though these are the 2018 models of ZoomText and Fusion coming out, just as they do with automobiles. This new version number system also makes it easier for users to know which versions of ZoomText, Fusion and JAWS go together, and when they were released.
New Lifetime Serial Number
- ZoomText product activation is now performed using Freedom Scientific’s Internet License Manager, also known as “ILM”. With the ILM, ZoomText owners now receive a lifetime ZoomText serial number that persists when purchasing future ZoomText upgrades and other Freedom Scientific software products. No longer do users need to enter a new serial number for each upgrade. For customers entitled to receive the ZoomText 2018 upgrade as part of the SMA program, if you have not received your new ILM authorization code, please contact your distributor (if you are outside of the United States) or Freedom Scientific (if you are inside the United States). Please have your previous ZoomText Serial number available to assist us with emailing you your new Authorization Code.
New ZoomText Setup Program
- ZoomText has a new streamlined setup program that makes the installation of ZoomText faster and easier to complete. The Setup interface has been streamlined and modernized with a fresh look that is intuitive and comfortable to use. And each dialog is fully self-voiced providing verbal guidance to help you complete the ZoomText setup in a snap.
New ZoomText Startup Wizard
- The new ZoomText Startup Wizard makes it easier for users to choose how ZoomText starts up. The Startup Wizard appears automatically right after you activate ZoomText, but you can always run the startup wizard at any time from the ZoomText > Preferences menu.
New Vocalizer Expressive Voices
- All versions of ZoomText Magnifier/Reader now include Vocalizer Expressive voices, providing voices for the most commonly spoken languages and dialects from around the world. When you install ZoomText, one male and/or female voice matching the language of your Windows operating system is automatically installed. Additional voices can be added at any time by selecting Download More Voices in ZoomText’s Voice Settings dialog box.
Improved Performance for All
- A wide range of Improvements in ZoomText’s foundation has provided major improvements in performance and compatibility with Windows, Office, Adobe Reader and many other mainstream and specialized applications.
New 4-Monitor Support
- ZoomText can now be used with systems running up to 4 monitors and desktops. ZoomText’s innovative multiple monitor support allows you to view different applications on each monitor or different views of the same application on each monitor. The Lens zoom window is also now available when running with multiple monitors.
Localizations Available in this Release
- This release of ZoomText 2018 provides a localized user interface for the following languages: Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, English UK, English US, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, and Swedish.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS APPLY TO FUSION 2018 ONLY
New “Speech On Demand”
- Fusion 2018 introduces a new Speech On Demand option that allows you to mute automatic speech output (such as the announcements that normally occur when you navigate through menus and dialogs), while still allowing you to trigger screen reading commands to hear items of interest, such as the Say All command or Speak the Window Title command. Users who prefer to navigate silently (using their vision or a braille display), but then have items of interest spoken aloud will find Speech on Demand a very welcome addition.
New Convenient OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
- The new Convenient OCR feature recognizes text in inaccessible PDF documents, screen images, and image files. When one of these inaccessible items is encountered, Fusion will alert you and provide the option to process the item for readable text. When the process is complete, Fusion will automatically read the recognized text to you. The Convenient OCR feature also allows you to capture and process printed items using a PEARL camera (from Freedom Scientific) or a supported flatbed scanner. Again, when process is complete, Fusion will automatically read the recognized text to you.
The following hardware and software are required to run ZoomText 2018 and Fusion 2018:
- Windows 10, 8.1 or 7 with Service Pack 1 (or later).
- Processor: 2 GHz i3 dual core processor or similar. i5 or i7 recommended.
- 4 GB Ram. 8 GB recommended.
- Video card with support for DirectX 10 or higher.
- Recommended: 256 MB dedicated video memory.
- 400 MB hard drive space. SSD drive recommended.
- 5-point multi-touch display for touch screen support.
- USB 2.0 for ZoomText Camera support.