Focus Blue Firmware Update Procedure
Use this page to download the latest firmware for your Focus 14 Blue, Focus 40 Blue, or Focus 80 Blue refreshable braille display.
This firmware update adds the Power 1 2 3 feature. Freedom Scientific Focus 14, 40, and 80 Blue braille displays will now have the ability to switch between an active USB connection and a Bluetooth connection with any paired Bluetooth device. If your Focus Blue braille display is connected to your computer using the USB port, you simply press the power button to display the status information, and then press DOTS 1-2-3 from the Perkins-style keyboard on the Focus display. If the Focus has been paired and the device is on, the Focus will immediately begin displaying information from the Bluetooth device. Press the power button and then press DOTS 1-2-3 again to switch back to the USB connection.
When initially pairing the Focus Blue with another Bluetooth device, ensure the display is powered on and not connected to USB. Once paired, you can connect the USB cable and then use this feature to toggle the active connection.
Android and iOS devices must first be locked before the display is switched from USB to Bluetooth connectivity. Once the display is switched to Bluetooth, unlock your mobile device so that it will find the display and begin using it as usual. Once the connection is established, you can switch back and forth using the Power 1 2 3 command without having to first lock and unlock the device.
Before You Begin
- Review this procedure before attempting to update your unit
- Make sure you have the supplied Focus Blue USB cable
- Press the unit's Power button and verify the current firmware version. The unit's name and firmware version display when the unit turns on.
- Download the Focus Blue firmware file below and copy it to a location on your computer where you can easily find it later
Updating the Focus Blue Firmware
- Using the link below, download and save the Focus Blue firmware update file to a location on your computer where you can easily find it, for example, your Downloads folder.
- Plug the braille display into your
computer's USB port and wait for the unit to turn on.
If the Found New Hardware dialog box appears, follow the messages to locate the driver.
- Run the application file (EXE) for your unit and follow the messages to update the firmware.
- When the update is finished, you may receive a message telling you to close and restart your screen reader before using your braille display.
- To verify that the update was successful, press the unit's POWER button to display firmware information. The firmware version should be 5.71.